mamaphan

Dying Out Loud: No Guilt in Life, No Fear in Death
Shawn Smucker
Life Application Study Bible, NASB
Anonymous, Ronald A. Beers
Bossypants - Tina Fey Genuinely one of the best books I've read in a while. There are a ton of great quotes, and I only gasped aloud in horror twice that I can think of (once because she suggested Kristen Wiig play Sarah Palin & Lorne agreed with her and once because she demanded to know (in writing) what's so great about apple butter).

I found her take on motherhood to be spot on. I loved that she was open about her struggles with breastfeeding, if only because I respect and admire her so much that it was a (small) comfort to know she struggled in much the same was as I did.

Her commentary on workplace politics was priceless, and I gleaned some good information from it. She writes: "So my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: "Is this person in between me and what I want to do?" If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you're in charge, don't hire the people who were jerky to you."

I wish I were more eloquent with things like this. I want to call Tina and thank her profusely for writing a book that made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion.